Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Time To Leave Broken Java Behind

     Why does any website still use Java in it's coding? With all the trouble that Java has been in and caused over the last couple of years, really, you'd think by now that websites would just eschew using it altogether. Maybe they do, I've had Java disabled in all our browsers for several months now, and frankly I can't say what it is that I'm missing. Every once in awhile I'll come across a website that tells me I'm, "not enjoying the full experience of their website because I have Java disabled". It's usually just some applet for playing some dumb game, or taking an online quiz. I can't say that I feel like I'm missing all that much. Surely there are better alternatives for these sorts of things, like HTML5. I think it's time for Java to be put out to pasture. I mean, Oracle themselves seem to make it difficult. The other day, I spent an hour trying to update my Java with the most recent patch. It was a laborious, frustrating process and I'm still not confident that I have the updated version on my computer without any of the older, compromised versions still on my hard-drive.

     Please Oracle, can you tell me why you can't make a simple updater that will install the latest version on my computer and "automatically" remove older versions from my computer? Why do I have to go in and manually remove the older versions of Java from my computer myself? Why do you STILL insist on trying to sneak the "Ask toolbar" onto my browsers whenever I try and update Java? I've still got Java disabled on all my browsers, and I suggest to everyone out there that you do it also. Java has become a playground littered with dirty needles and homeless pedophiles, it's time to find a new playground because this one has become a crime-ridden ghetto.

No comments: