Friday, August 25, 2006

Stumbling...

Just wanted to advocate something I've just recently discovered which has transformed my internet experience. First of all, you've got to be using Mozilla's Firefox, (which you should be doing anyway, I might add ;) ), and I've discovered the most wonderful extension for it. It's called "Stumble upon".

After installing the extension, it takes you to the stumbleupon website where you have to register an account, which is totally free. You pick a username, upload an avatar and pick out of a large list of interests what it is you like to look at on the internet. Pretty simple and quick. You'll now notice an icon in your browser header with an "SU" on it. Simply click this icon and you'll be taken to a random website with content that other users of stumbleupon with like interests have flagged as being interesting. There are also icons along side the "SU" icon which allow you to mark a website as being interesting or not interesting yourself, which adds to the stumbleupon database for users with like interests.

I found myself stumbling from website to website that I'd have never known existed, and probably 90% of them were totally fascinating! This has re-invigorated my web-surfing experience. I'd gotten to the point where I was only visiting about ten websites over and over again and was getting jaded. Last night I sat in front of the computer and stumbled for probably three straight hours (hmmm, maybe that's not such a great thing! ), but then again, it was fun, which the internet hasn't been for months! So if you've got firefox check out stumbleupon...if you don't, then get it and try it out!

No comments: