Friday, August 25, 2006

Confessions of a gadget geek...

Well, I've posted before about my gadgets...problem is I'm afraid I'm a compulsive gadget buyer! I've always been attracted to buying gadgets, you know, those shiny, inventive little things that promise to make life easier, or more fun? I've been trying lately to curb my spending, unfortunately, all I've really done is demote myself to buying cheap gadgets!

Case in point...today I stopped into my local walgreens to buy a couple of necessities, when what did my wandering eyes lite upon, but a keychain digital camera for only $10. Now, the price alone should have been a warning sign to me...and normally it would have been, but since I'd been being good for a couple of weeks, I relented and purchased it. Needless to say, I was quite disappointed with the results! The packaging claimed it had 16mb internal memory and held up to 243 photos. Well, it actually only holds 20 photos at the impressive high quality setting of 320 x288! Talk about grainy little photos! And if the subject isn't sitting perfectly still for at least 2 seconds, it's nothing but a blur!

Have I learned my lesson? Probably not, if anything I now just have the desire to go out and buy something quality!! I'm taking that intense internal pressure and releasing it here in this blog...maybe that will keep me from going out and spending money I don't have! Although I spent the last hour watching YouTube videos of the Lego Mindstorms robotic kit in action...something I've been wanting for several years....I just haven't had an extra $200 to blow on something only the child in me needs :) Well, I'll keep my mini digital camera on my keychain and maybe someday that UFO I've been waiting for will happen by and I'll snap it's picture...small, blurry and grainy as it may be. But then most photos like that usually are!

Anyone else out there suffering from this same horrible affliction? If so let me know how you're coping with it, or how it's taking over your life if that's the way it is!

2 comments:

Highly Agitated said...

Well, if kids-sucking-up-your-free-time didn't cure you, I'm not sure what will.

Every now and then I'll make the mistake of reading a review for the latest video card and gaming technology. The itch starts. I start looking for games that will push the technology. I go to to MySimom.com to find a low price for the card and the game...
and then I remember that I have no personal life beyond the few minutes I steal for myself at work.

Good luck!

Forcemaster2000 said...

Sounds like me! I'm probably incurable, so either I'm going to have to win the lottery, or turn over my financial well-being to my wife...EEEK!