Friday, December 14, 2012

Sandy Hook Elementary Tragedy...What Should(Can) Be Done?

I didn't find out until several hours after it hit the national news about the tragic shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary School. My heartfelt condolences go out to the victims of this heinous crime. A crime that will go unpunished on this Earth since the killer was so cowardly that he took his own life. I feel for all those affected by this horrible incident. In the coming days, I'm sure there will be much discussion about this, and unfortunately, we may never know the motives behind these killings.

I do know that as a nation we will have to address what has happened today, and the challenge will be how we come to grips with it. I'm an ardent believer in the rights of the citizens of this country to bear arms, but even so, I find myself thinking thoughts of bans on guns. But realistically speaking, what good would that do? It would only cause a great amount of strife, it would generate a huge black market for guns and ammunition that would in itself then cause even more harm and trouble in this country. Should we have armed guards stationed at every school and public venue in the country? I doubt that would be possible, nor would I want to live in a country like that, it would be like living inside the world's largest prison.

I don't have any answers, I'm not sure that anyone does when a tragedy like this occurs. We will need to keep calm heads and have a frank and open discussion that will hopefully lead to something that makes us feel better about the world we live in, and yet leaves us free to make our own choices.

No comments: