Tuesday, March 18, 2008

My new ride...not so new now!

Well, I don't have a picture of it to show you, but I managed to have a wreck on my new scooter Sunday afternoon. I'm just now feeling well enough to sit at the computer and type this up. I lucked out and didn't break anything, or worse yet, die! I did get pretty banged up, and my scooter isn't in such mint condition anymore.

I was going around a corner that I'd negotiated four or five times in the past week with no problem. I swung out a little wide to avoid a depression in the intersection and wound up losing control on some loose gravel left behind by snow-melt. I hit the curb, the scooter flipped around 180 degrees and I flew off and slid about five feet along the ground. Thank GOD, there were several wonderful people in the traffic around me. One gentleman stopped, got out of his car and after checking to see if I was all right, helped me get the scooter out of the street. Several other motorists and one policeman stopped and asked if I was ok. I'm really grateful to each of these people who took time out from their commutes to help me / check up on me, I didn't think people would do that anymore.

I was hurting badly, but was able to pick up all the pieces lying along the street, get back on the scooter (after assuring myself it was safe enough to ride) and continued on home. My wife was none too happy with me (she didn't like the fact I'd got the scooter in the first place), but she was more concerned about my health. After a couple hours at home, I decided that my wife was right and that I should go to the E.R. and get checked out. Long story short, I had no serious damage, but it was going to be a couple of rough days while recuperating. I feel better enough now, I should be back to work tomorrow, (minus the scooter). I guess I'm going to buff the scratches out of it the best I can, and put it up on the market. I promised the wife that I'd not ride it anymore, it's not worth the worry and pain I'd be putting her through, just to ride the scooter back and forth to work.

No comments: