Friday, January 04, 2008

Huckabee?

I've been saying for probably two years now that the worst thing that could happen to this country would be to be stuck with another Republican president for another four years. I now find myself in the strange position of thinking that I like the idea of Huckabee being our next president.

What could be causing me to possibly reverse course? Recently hearing Huckabee's idea of getting rid of personal income tax and invoking the "fair" tax. A 23% federal sales tax sounds high at first...but I did the math and when you consider that last year I paid in about $3500 in federal taxes...that would be like getting a $3500 pay raise since I wouldn't have to pay that into the government off the top of my paycheck. I'd still end up paying in about the same amount of money, but at least I'd be doing it by "buying", which in turn would stimulate the economy. Also, with a federal sales tax, all those illegal aliens, drug dealers, pimps and others who don't report their income, would be helping to support our government.

I still don't understand the whole "pre-bate" part of the fair tax, but then again, I don't understand how our tax system works now!

There's still plenty of time left before the elections this November, and Huckabee may not even be on the ticket by the time we get there...but he's made me pay closer attention to what's being put on the table by the various candidates, and I've still got time to decide where this countries future would best lie.

No comments: