Thursday, September 07, 2006

True indicator of our economy

While our government is constantly trying to convince us that our economy is improving, that jobs are plentiful and that the dollar will soon be worth more than the change in our pockets, I've been seeing the real indicators of what kind of shape our country is in. This morning, after dropping my son off for school, I went to a local Krogers to get gas in my car. As I pulled up to one of the pumps, I saw a couple walking towards me carrying a gas can. I had a feeling I knew what was coming up. As I was operating the pump to get my gas, the man carrying the gas can called out to me, asking if I could spare some gas for them. I told them "no, I couldn't". Happily for me he just said "ok", and walked off with his spouse/girlfriend.
Now, it wasn't the price of gas, or my lack of money that kept me from helping them out. A couple of years ago when someone asked me something like that, I would have gladly helped them, but over the last couple of years, I've been seeing a trend in this country...what I call, the beggars' plea. It seems lately, that I can't go into any parking lot of a grocery store, gas station or shopping center without someone asking me for gas, money for gas, money for food, money for a bus ticket, or just money. Our economy has become so pitiful that we are turning into a nation of beggars. These people are white, black, mexican, young, middle-aged...and generally seem consigned to what they're doing. As if it's become normal to them and they don't feel bad that they're begging people for something that they supposedly can't provide for themselves.
There are a few times I've been in a tight bind where I've run out of gas, or didn't have money to do something that I really needed to do...but I've never asked a total stranger for something. I've never asked for money, gas or a ride even. I've walked several miles to get to where I needed to be, I've called a family member and asked for help even. I do not beg total strangers to help me out though. I've always made my own way, not depending on the kindness, or gullibility of others.
I remember an incident about a year ago, not long after I'd started to see this trend...a young black male came up to me in a local shopping center parking lot and asked me if I could spare a few dollars for him. He was wearing designer jeans, and sneakers that I know had to have cost more than $100. I told him I didn't have anything on me and walked on. Watching from the store window, I watched as he approached several other people in the parking lot. Some of them did give him some change or cash. He then walked across the parking lot, got into a car and drove off. I have a feeling he was just heading to another parking lot where he would ply his trade, begging.
If our economy is doing so well, why are there so many beggars in our country now? Why are people driving around in cars that are held together with duct tape and bunji-cords? Or driving cars that have been smashed in so badly in a wreck that the drivers side door doesn't even open anymore, and windows have platic taped over them? I don't think our economy is doing so well Mr. Bush, if it were, I'd have given that couple this morning a couple gallons of gas and felt that I'd done a good deed for them.

No comments: