Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Netflix Price Hike...

Netflix has just announced a 60% price increase for customers who wish to continue receiving DVD's through the mail, and make use of their video streaming service. I've been a Netflix member for a couple of years now, 1 DVD at a time and streaming movies. At first that service was $9.99 a month (a great bargain), then it went up to $10.69 a month (still a great bargain). An increase to $16 a month though, (not such a great bargain). Why? I'm not that quick about sending the DVD's back to get the next in my queue. Some months, I'm only seeing 5 or 6 DVD's, and frankly, I've went through about all the movies I missed at the theater, and new releases that "I JUST CAN'T WAIT TO SEE" are getting fewer and farther between.

There's been a big furor on the internet from angry customers saying that they're dropping Netflix like a hot potato. My guess is though that a lot of these people are going to keep paying for the service anyway, because they're used to it. Here's where Netflix is making a mistake though. I'm not going to completely drop the service...I'm just going to go to the streaming only option. So instead of paying $10.69 a month, I'll be paying $7.99 a month. Sure, Netflix will be saving themselves the cost of shipping me those DVD's, but then again, I was only getting 5 or 6 of them a month as it was. The way I see it, Netflix is going to be giving me pretty much the same amount of product as they were, but for a lower price. I don't see that as much of a win for them.

1 comment:

Jordan Abbott said...

I didn't know this, I'm still upset about Hulu forcing everyone to get Hulu plus to see anything good.